26th January, 2020

Great Bradfords Comets

What a difference a week makes!!

Writtle Minors Green 2 – 0 GBFC Comets

Having been beaten 14-1 by the same opposition last week, The Comets travelled back to Paradise Road in Writtle to play the Writtle Minors Greens in the League Cup.

Hopes were high as the boys sprung out the blocks with some good early pressure and no signs of the defensive frailty that dogged us last week, so when Writtle took the lead in the 6th minute it felt like a real pivotal moment where everyone had to decide if we would collapse or stand up and fight.

And stand up and fight they did!!

From the 7th minute onwards the defense were (literally) putting their bodies on the line to block the waves of Writtle attacks with injuries sustained by both center backs, Jack Jarvis and James Heissig during the game, and on the rare occasion that the back line was breached, Goalkeeper Rhys Crowson was on hand to mop up.

The full backs, Alfie Amos and Luke Boyle, were giving us plenty of wide options from goal kicks and were keeping the defensive line tight to prevent Writtle from pushing too far forward.

Onur Siam and Aidan Langdridge were strong in the middle of the park, hassling and chasing their Writtle counterparts at every opportunity while trying to feed the ball to the wide players and forwards at every opportunity.

It was a hard day for the wingers, Josh Henry, James Moseley and Tyler Farrow and the strikers Oliver Blake, Kyle Crozier and Jack Kane who were asked to do a lot of running with little reward, but they all performed the “first line of defense” job admirably and with a little slice of luck it could have been very different.

Despite The Comets best efforts, 1 short lapse was all Writtle needed to grab their second goal of the game with 15 minutes to go.

Such an improvement from last week and more importantly, this game gave us the belief that last week was a “blip” and that we are building on the positive half’s we played in the matches either side of the Christmas break and have now put in a solid performance over a full 70 minutes.

Man of the match was a hard decision with some many contenders, but the award ultimately went to Luke Boyle who’s performance this week was a continuation of his strong performances over the last 3 weeks.